Sunday, February 7, 2010

And the momentum continues

I didn't fib - the pile of fiber at the end of my last post went into this lattice scarf.

I ran it in my felting machine for 10 minutes, unrolled it and rolled it in reverse and ran it another 10 minutes to get it to this stage. I laid out a single layer for all the lattices except where they intersected. At those points another "shingle" of fiber was laid down for extra strength.

Once I got it started I put it in my Laundry Alternative spinner:

I thought it made a cool kind of "spin art" (-:

I hand fulled the piece and there was significant shrinkage. The red, dyed huacaya, fulled much more easily than the black, natural black huacaya. It has been a while since I did some hand fulling and watching and feeling it shrink as I worked it was very rewarding.


After this I worked on hand fulling my test suri scarf and now I'm considering needling it for a while. If it responds to that I'm thinknig that a Felt-o-Matic by Dianne Stott to speed that part of it up might be a good investment. Since I'm serious about focusing on suri it could be a good investment.

Finally this is a scarf I started today - started this on the felting machine and this shows the shrinkage from hand fulling with the bubble wrap and the wash board.


No comments:

Post a Comment